Wednesday, August 27, 2008

t3

since i do not take enough time in my life to be thankful, i am going to start myself a regular post feature, as if there are enough people who read this to be featuring something regularly. no matter. it's not really about that anyways, it's about refocusing myself, because i'm calling the regular feature "t3" - thursday three (things to be thankful for [and a specific reason why]). note the alliteration of the three t's, aren't i clever.

1. my husband. i slipped and fell on the stairs earlier this week and hurt my back. he was cranky and yelling about something, but when i told him i had slipped and fallen, he immediately forgot what he was upset about because he was worried that i was not okay. (i was.) his immediate concern was for me. in fact, he always puts me first. isn't he awesome? i have a great husband.

2. our beautiful home. at one (very brief) point in my life, i was facing the possibility of being homeless. that could be dramatic, i don't know, probably is, but that's what it felt like at the time. i was being forced out of one place and had no money and nowhere to go, and for a few days (until i found a place) i honestly believed i would have to live in my car. ever since then i have been immensely grateful for the roof over my head. that we have such a gorgeous roof (and walls, and carpet, and...) is just icing on the cake.

3. yummy summer foods like zucchini. i heart zucchini but brian does not so much. fortunately i picked this yummness up from my college roommates and brian will tolerate it. i delight in zucchini goo, and since most days [but not always] we make things that brian loves, sometimes we also have things that i love too. i am going to share that delight with you so you can be thankful too.

zucchini goo (serves 2)

1 zucchini
1 yellow crookneck squash or yellow zucchini (whichever is on sale, it doesn't matter)
2 roma tomatoes
chopped garlic
parmesan cheese
olive oil
salt and pepper

slice the zucchini and crookneck into thin rounds, about 1/8" thick. heat olive oil in a large skillet, then sauté the garlic a little. toss in the zucchini and sauté until softened some. slice the romas into 1/4" (or bigger) rounds and toss into the zucchinis with the salt and pepper and a couple handfuls of parmesan, however much seems right enough to you, and sauté everything until the tomatoes are warmed through (but not falling apart) and the cheese is starting to get melty but not gobby.

side note: this is not one of those precise recipes. if you are a Precise Recipe Person - i have compassion for you, because generally i am one of those people. i like measuring things and using the correct amount and it comforts me when things are done properly and there is not too much or too little. however, you can't really screw up zucchini goo, and isn't it nice to relax and let go of your PRP self every once in a while and throw things into a pot and have yummy deliciousness come out?

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Man, I am so not a PRP person. I don't measure ANYTHING, unless I'm baking.
I also love zucchini, especially grilled. mmm